Wednesday, February 29, 2012
12:47 AM | Posted by Bamafever | Edit Post
This book is the best in the series. I really thought this book would be a fluffy romance being Paris's book, but I was very pleasantly shocked. I would give this book a 10 if I could. Gena Showalter really showed out in this book. Her world being was fantastic, the storyline was moved along perfectly, new characters were introduced but not overwhelmingly, and the character development of some of the characters still waiting for books were spot on.
Cronus and Rhea are up to no good as usual and finally get what's coming to them in an epic battle. The story revolves around Paris and Sienna but Kane and Galen are being set up nicely for their books also. The Lords make a move, friends and enemies are realigned. The Angels are brought into play and new characters set up for Gena Showalter's new spinoff series for the Bad Boy Angel's. I can't wait for it.
Even if you haven't read the previous books in the series you will be able to follow along just fine. I believe once you read this one though you will not be able to not follow all of the Lord's stories already told.
Sunday, February 20, 2011
2:38 AM | Posted by Bamafever | Edit Post
Paperback Dolls: Month of Love Giveaway: Archangel's Kiss by Nalini...: "Today, Nalini Singh is offering up ONE signed copy of the second in her Guild Hunters Series, ARCHANGEL'S KISS, to ONE lucky International r..."
Saturday, January 22, 2011
7:51 AM | Posted by Bamafever | Edit Post
Shadowfever Q/A NOLA 2011
Karen started out the session with many apologies for being so sick the night before at the signing. She said she sat next to two people throwing up the whole flight to NOLA. My hats off to her for actually sticking it out for the whole book signing. It was horribly hot, but she signed every single book we all had.
- Q: Did she know from the beginning who would turn out to be the bad guy?
- A: No one was either good or bad. There are shades of grey in all of us and her characters also. She said everyone turned out exactly as she dreamed them.
- Q: Why didn’t Barron’s remove Darroc’s mark?
- A: She has her reasons and we will see why.
She talked a little and told us how humbled she was that so many fans read her books, but what made her the happiest is all of the friendships that had formed from them. She was very sincere when she spoke and laughed a lot.
- Q: Where did she get the names for her characters?
- A: Everything about the Fever series came to her in one dream. The names of the characters, how each book should end, also the names of each book. She didn’t want to write this series and fought doing it, but they just wouldn’t leave her alone. When she woke up from the dream she wrote the names of the books on her bedroom wall.
- Q: What did you eat before you went to bed? ( Met with much laughter from all of us)
- A: She never really answered but did state that she has always had very vivid dreams.
- Q: Will you ever write a story in Barron’s perspective? Will you do a novel on the back stories?
- A: No but she will not ever say never with this story. ( Lots of laughter) NO novels on back stories but she would continue all story lines in future books.
Ø She stated that she still had lots of Mac, Barron’s, and the other 9’s story to tell but they would be background to the stories being told for the next series.
- Q: What’s next?
- A: Dani, Ryodan, Christian triangle with lots of Fae, Mac, Barron’s, and the other 9. She said she is going to take a break though and laughed that we were already wanting another book.
- Q: You write a lot of male perspectives; do you think you do a good job with them?
- A: She turned to Phil and Neil and asked them if she did. LOL of course they said yes.
- Q: Which character are you most like, Mac or Barron’s?
- A: She said she thinks she is a lot like both. She has grown right along with Mac. Her choice in wardrobe has also. When she first started this series she was a black leather pants, St. Johns Bay shirt and pink panties ( which she still prefers) but now she tries to dress up more. She laughed and said she is still wardrobe challenged like Mac though. She thought for a minute and said she is most like Barron’s and laughed. She hates to think she is a psychopath . This was met with much laughter. She asks Neil and Phil and Phil laughed and said Mac, just take a drive with her one time.
- Q: Someone ask about the Shades.
- A: She said they are still around reproducing and have moved. They will still be around.
Ø There was some conversation and she told us she knew there were going to be some upset with how certain characters turned out. She laughed and said “Hey I left V’Lane naked for those who loved him.
- Q: Did she ever consider Mac waking up and it all being a dream?
- A:NO that would just be lazy and she didn’t like that. None of her stories will ever be “Just a Dream”
- Q: What do you recommend for people wanting to write?
- A: Keep your butt in the chair. Don’t give up and don’t look at the market to see what is popular. Stay true to the story you are wanting to tell. It’s a lonely road getting started but stay focused and true to your story. Even if you don’t get published you will know you didn’t take the easy road and can still feel proud
- Q: What did she think about how the books ended and all of the cliffhangers?
- A: All of the books came together, just like she wrote them, from her dream. (The Fever series) She hated how Faefever ended and cried because she didn’t want to leave the cliffhanger of Mac being raped. She knew it was hard on us and it was on her to. She had to stick to the story though. She also hated how Shadowfever started but that’s how it had to be told. She talked some on the cd Shadowsong, Neil. Her favorite song was Alone. She said she cried when he presented it to her. She talked about how Neil and she worked together. He had to hear everything she wrote each day and it just all came together.
- Q: Something was asked about the Highlander series?
- A: She said she hated them and if you haven’t read them don’t. This was met with a lot of disagreement from the fans. She pointed out that the first two were just terrible but she started finding her rhythm in The Highlanders Touch and her favorites are Drustan and Dageus. Phil won an award for The Dark Highlander. Into the Dreaming has nothing to do with either series. She was fulfilling a prior obligation but it does parallel the series.
Mrs. Moning stated the point of the books were to show how everyone’s pretty pink life gets broken. No one is unfazed by life and it’s just part of life for bad things to happen. The transition between when life is “Pretty and Pink” to “Hard and Dark”. It’s just the facts of life. We all have to deal with grief and she thinks Barron’s sums it up the best.
- Q: Is Alina and Mac really sisters?
- A: Yes they are blood sisters. This is actually answered in the books. No one knew Isla was pregnant with Mac. She stated that we would be getting a story with Isla, Pieter, and the Triton Corp. . She added Isla and Pieter into Shadowfever for us. She also said she couldn’t add Telie’s story because it didn’t flow with the current way the book was going but in the next book we would get to see them have a conversation.
- Q: I missed the full question.
- A: Her response was she believes the plot should follow the emotion not the emotion following the plot.
- Q: Where did she come up with her theories on the Fae? ( The person commented that she noticed a lot of similarities in other stories)
- A: She said all stories have been told but it’s how you put your own personal touch to it. All authors draw from the same pools of information. They work with what research they can but then have to either use or make up their own mytho’s.
- Q: What’s going on with the movie deal?
- A: Unfortunately the time has ran out, but she doesn’t really care. She wants to make sure whoever does it stays true to her characters and story. She thinks a tv series would be better because there is to much story for a movie. She will not let just anyone have the rights because she wants to make sure she can trust them not to change everything. She would rather hold onto it until she can be a big part of it or she fully trust the person that will be in charge. She will not let just anyone do it.
- Q: How much say did you have in the Graphic Novel.
- A: She stated that she was completely involved. All of the characters have her treatment. She adores the artist who she chose and is very excited for it to come out.
- Q: What was the count for NOLA?
- A: They weren’t completely sure but 500 books were purchased there.
- Q: What’s the best time for her to write and does she have somewhere she prefers to be when she does?
- A: 4:30am and she isn’t happy about that. She said her and Neil travel a lot but N. Georgia where they live is where she does most of her writing. She laughed and said it’s probably because there is nothing around for distractions.
- Q: What are her plans on future series
- A: She stated she had so much more to write on all of her characters and thinks Mac and Barron’s will never leave her. The Fae and many more answers are coming also. She assured us that she answered all questions that were needed to complete the Fever series and any that weren’t would be in future books. She says she will not get committed to a long series again and all books would be between 3-5 books. She likes her stories to be defined and not drag them out.
- Q: Will there be anymore Highlander books?
- A: Yes there will be at least one more. She didn’t want to but the Keltar’s wouldn’t leave her alone and there was more to tell from them.
- Q: Something was asked about Mac and the Hunters.
- A: Mac’s opinion has changed of the Hunters and we will see more about that and she will try to convince others to change their minds to.
- Q: Why did K’Vruck not try and hurt her?
- A: The UK has imprinted on Mac and the Hunters recognize this.
- Q: Where did the character names come from?
- A: The dream she had for the series.
- Q: Out of all the things in the series what would she most like to have?
- A: No question about it, Barron’s cars.
- Q: What does she see with Dani’s story?
- A: She really wants to write about her growing up some more and the decisions she makes. Career wise she knows starting her out older is the way to go, so she just isn’t sure yet.
- Q: Who and what is Dancer?
- A: With a big smile, you will have to wait
Stay to the Lights and stay tuned for the next episode.
Sunday, January 9, 2011
3:23 AM | Posted by Bamafever | Edit Post
Want to have your own copy of The Demon Trapper's Daughter signed by Jana Oliver? You are in luck lovers because Jana Oliver is so awesome she is giving one away right here on Paperback Dolls! But wait...there is more! One lucky winner will get...
Signed ARC of The Demon Trapper's Daughter
A Backpack with official Trapper Guild Patch
Demon Trapper decals
Pretty cool huh?
To enter to win simply leave a comment in this post telling us why you would love to win this giveaway and leave a working email where we can contact you in the event you win. As always we have some extra ways to gain entries...
+1 follow Paperback Dolls (GFC, Twitter, Facebook, etc)
+1 follow Jana Oliver Facebook and Twitter
+1 if you leave comment on The Demon Trapper's Daughter REVIEW & Character Interview
+1 for every place you spread the word about this contest (please leave links in comments section)
+5 if you post the Demon Trappers Daughter countdown Widget (seen above) on your web page, social media, or blog sidebar
+10 if you make a blog post about this contest
This contest is open to US and Canada only (sorry) and will run through January 19th. A winner will be chosen using Random.org and will be notified via email and announced in our Week in Review post on January 23rd.
Once again the Dolls have a great giveaway for us! If you don't already know about the Dolls hurry over to www.paperbackdolls.blogspot.com
Friday, January 7, 2011
10:40 PM | Posted by Bamafever | Edit Post
"Evil is a completely different creature, Mac.
Evil is bad that believes it's good."
MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.
Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister's murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals that have lived concealed among us for thousands of years.
What follows is a shocking chain of events with devastating consequences, and now Mac struggles to cope with grief, while continuing her mission to acquire and control the Sinsar Dubh--a book of dark, forbidden magic scribed by the mythical Unseelie King that contains the power to create and destroy worlds.
In an epic battle between humans and Fae, the hunter becomes the hunted when the Sinsar Dubh turns on Mac, and begins mowing a deadly path through those she loves.
Who can she turn to? Who can she trust? Who is the woman that haunts her dreams? More importantly, who is Mac and what is the destiny she glimpses in the black and crimson designs of an ancient tarot card?
From the luxury of the Lord Master's penthouse, to the sordid depths of an Unseelie nightclub, from the erotic bed of her lover, to the terrifying bed of the Unseelie King, Mac's journey will force her to face the truth of her exile, and make a choice that will either save the world...or destroy it.
Marie Laveaus's Grave
*Doing the Happy Dance Just Before the Signing*
I have taken a brief break between reading ShadowFever and writing this review for several reasons. The main one being how much I loved book and the series as a whole. There was no way I would have been able to review without giving spoilers and I want everyone to have a chance to read and be as amazed as I was.
The journey of Mac and Barrons finally reaches a point of no return, we get questions answered, more questions, twists that will probably cause some people to sneak off in a corner and cry * poor things* LOL, and promise of future books in the Fever World. Excited, I can't wait! There are some characters that are eliminated and I say good riddance to them. As well as some dear loved ones revisited.
Some of our fabtastic Highlanders do make an appearance.
Can anyone say K'Vrucked? I love this new character and was ecstatic to hear from KMM that we would be hearing more about him. What's under the garage will totally blow your mind and explain why a certain character has some issues. Some characters will be shown in gray zones that any one of us could be thrown into and some will have their deceptive natures come out so be prepared to be completely taken aback by what you are about to discover in this amazing world that's been created for us.
I know some people are very disgruntled that every question wasn't answered, but I was satisfied. I'm also still curious enough to hang on until KMM finishes this fantastic world. Personally I think most books leave some things for the readers to actually use some of their own imagination without leaving them left out in the dark without resolution. Where would you go with a story if you didn't leave something to talk about in between books or keep the readers interest. Now I don't mean end one series and do a spin off that leaves the most important part of the resolutions out to hold us hostage and or try to force us to read future series. Nor just so you can extend your contract for the amount of books in a particular series. I have had the misfortune of seeing that done to a series I truly loved only to be completely turned off of the whole thing. In my opinion KMM did not do this with ShadowFever. Maybe being at the Q/A session with KMM helped me feel resolved. The session I was in is posted here on my blog also.
I respect others opinions, even though I honestly can not say I'm in anyway let down by ShadowFever. I would have like to see more of a certain couple together of course and if I had to say what I would have liked to see different, it would have to be that. If you are in agreement with me check out ShadowSong. KMM's husband Neil Dover produced the cd to accompany ShadowFever. The whole booklet for the cd is amazing and the deleted scene will steam up your glasses. * Giggles* Valentine, one of the tracks on the cd, was written by KMM and LOL , it's true to her. Just One Time is probably one of my favorite songs on there and Neil's note on why it was written... well just check it out. * winks*
As Karen said " The End...." " For Now"
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
3:31 PM | Posted by Bamafever | Edit Post
Well all 11 reviews are done. Thank you Dolls for a great contest. I LOVE the Fever series and the Highlanders. Can't wait to see who wins. Good luck to all!!!!!!!
You can find any of them using the tag Reviews or Karen Marie Moning.
Books, Books, and more Books: Paperbackdoll Manic Moning Challenge wrap up
Stay to the Lights,
You can find any of them using the tag Reviews or Karen Marie Moning.
Books, Books, and more Books: Paperbackdoll Manic Moning Challenge wrap up
Stay to the Lights,
10:47 AM | Posted by Bamafever | Edit Post
"My philosophy is pretty simple-any day nobody’strying to kill me is a good day in my book.I haven’t had many good days lately."
MacKayla Lane’s life is good. She has great friends, a decent job, and a car that breaks down only every other week or so. In other words, she’s your perfectly ordinary twenty-first-century woman.
Or so she thinks... until something extraordinary happens.
When her sister is murdered, leaving a single clue to her death–a cryptic message on Mac’s cell phone–Mac journeys to Ireland in search of answers. The quest to find her sister’s killer draws her into a shadowy realm where nothing is as it seems, where good and evil wear the same treacherously seductive mask. She is soon faced with an even greater challenge: staying alive long enough to learn how to handle a power she had no idea she possessed–a gift that allows her to see beyond the world of man, into the dangerous realm of the Fae...
As Mac delves deeper into the mystery of her sister’s death, her every move is shadowed by the dark, mysterious Jericho, a man with no past and only mockery for a future. As she begins to close in on the truth, the ruthless V'lane–an alpha Fae who makes sex an addiction for human women–closes in on her. And as the boundary between worlds begins to crumble, Mac’s true mission becomes clear: find the elusive Sinsar Dubh before someone else claims the all-powerful Dark Book–because whoever gets to it first holds nothing less than complete control of the very fabric of both worlds in their hands...
Bama's rating : 4 Tides
This series is like a drug, you just can't get enough. I was recommended this series by a friend of mine and hold her responsible for my insanity now. For fans of the Highlander Series, you will see just what the evil Darroc is up to and never want to turn your lights off again.
The What is Barrons? Yes that is the million dollar question among lovers of the Fever series.
There is only one thing I can say negative about this book and the three that succeed it, is it they end in cliff hangers. LOL not that is such a bad thing normally, but these drive you crazy until the next one.
MacKayla Lane isn't your normal heroine. She has lead a shelter life and is full of pink and rainbows. Her life takes a drastic turn and not for the better. I actually feel sorry for her. She's lost her sister and now she see's things that make the Boogie Man shudder.
The one thing that does go right for her is meeting Jericho Z Barrons. He is a bookstore owner and becomes Mac's protector. Barrons had me at " Barrons Books and Bauble."
Barrons really wants the Sinsar Dubh, or the Dark Book. He needs his OOP Detector (Object of Power), and that would be MacKayla . She needs him to help her stay alive and find her sisters killer.
Stay to the Lights,
"When my sister was found dead in a trash-filled
alley in Dublin, I came to get answers. Now all I
want is revenge. And after everything I've learned
about myself, I know I have the power to get it..."
Mackayla Lane's ordinary life underwent a complete makeover when she landed on Ireland's shores and was plunged into a dark, deadly realm unlike any she ever imagined. In her fight to stay alive, Mac must find the Sinsar Dubh—a million-year old book of the blackest magic imaginable that holds the key to power over both the worlds of Fae and Man. Pursued by Fae assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she cannot trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and irresistible men: V'lane, the insatiable Fae, who can turn sensual arousal into an obsession for any woman; and the ever-inscrutable Jericho Barrons, a man as alluring as he is mysterious.
For centuries, the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them...
Bama's rating: 4 1/2 Tides
Karen Marie Moning is brilliant, in my opinion. I can never put her books down when I start them. We see the story progressing, but still so many unanswered questions.
What is Barrons? The million dollar question!
Mac's life is torn. There really is no other way to describe it. Make time to find her sisters killer, Death By Sex Fae ,and Jericho.What's a southern belle to do?
Stay to the Lights,
"He calls me his Queen of the Night.
I'd die for him. I'd kill for him, too."When MacKayla Lane receives a torn page from her dead sister's journal, she is stunned by Alina's desperate words. And now MacKayla knows that her sister's killer is close. But evil is closer. And suddenly the sidhe-seer is on the hunt: For answers. For revenge. And for an ancient book of dark magic so evil, it corrupts anyone who touches it.
Mac's quest for the Sinsar Dubh takes her into the mean, shape-shifting streets of Dublin, with a suspicious cop on her tail. Forced into a dangerous triangle of alliance with V'lane, an insatiable Fae prince of lethally erotic tastes, and Jericho Barrons, a man of primal desires and untold secrets, Mac is soon locked in a battle for her body, mind, and soul.
As All Hallows Eve approaches and the city descends into chaos, as a shocking truth about the Dark Book is uncovered, not even Mac can prevent a deadly race of immortals from shattering the walls between worlds with devastating consequences.
Bama's rating: 4 1/2 Tides
Hum where to begin. There is so much that happens in Faefever. This book is not for the faint hearted, but you don't want to miss out on it. Karen Marie Moning has one of the best imaginations, besides Ilona Andrews, that I have had the pleasure of reading. Faefever takes us to places way past our scariest dreams. Ugh once again though the horror at the end and the cliff hanger might just drive you crazy. Be strong our journey with Mac is almost over and I have faith that Mrs. Moning will lead us into the light. If you are looking for a mushy paranormal romance then this isn't the series or book for you. If you want to be engrossed in a world of mystery, destruction, twist and turns, and hope keep reading.
In the beginning Mac makes a startling discovery. The Dark Book isn't in possession of someone but is possessing. In the end the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have arrived and the world as Mac once lived will forever be shattered.
Poor Mac, I cry for her lost innocence.For anyone of my followers who have suffered a fate like Mac, BE strong and know there is always hope. It's not your fault and you are stronger that anything that comes against you. YOU survived and know others out there care about you!
Never give up hope. Mrs. Moning added a note to reassure us this journey isn't about darkness it's about the light.
Stay to the Lights,
"But for those of us who live large, the most alive we ever feel
is when we're punching air with a fist, uncurling our middle
finger with a cool smile, and flipping Death the big old bird."
MacKayla Lane lies naked on the cold stone floor of a church, at the mercy of the erotic Fae master she once swore to kill. Far from home, unable to control her sexual hungers, MacKayla is now fully under the Lord Master's spell. In the New York Times bestselling author Karen Marie Moning's stunning new novel, the walls between human and Fae worlds have come crashing down. And as Mac fights for survival on Dublin's battle-scarred streets, she will embark on the darkest-and most erotically charged-adventure of her life.
He has stolen her past, but MacKayla will never allow her sister's murderer to take her future. Yet even the uniquely gifted sidhe-seer is no match for the Lord Master, who has unleashed an insatiable sexual craving that consumes Mac's every thought-and thrusts her into the seductive realm of two very dangerous men, both of whom she desires but dares not trust.
As the enigmatic Jericho Barrons and the sensual Fae prince V'lane vie for her body and soul, as she rallies the sidhe-seers to fight an impossible battle, and the power of the Dark Book weaves its annihilating path through the city, Mac's greatest enemy delivers a final challenge...
It's an invitation Mac cannot refuse, one that sends her racing home to Georgia, where an even darker threat awaits. With her parents missing and the lives of her loved ones under siege, Mac is about to come face-to-face with a soul-shattering truth-about herself, and about the world she thought she knew.
My ratings: 5 Tides
Dreamfever is fantastic. Sighs* Barrons!!!
My heart is pounding just writing this review. Karen Marie Moning has outshone herself with this one. When I finished Faefever I was devastated for Mac. By the end of Dreamfever you will recover with Mac only to be torn apart again. Yes there is a cliff hanger. Yes it looks like all hope is gone. But we are strong, as Mac is, and hopefully we know by now, " Never give up!"
I love the fact that Mrs. Moning uses very real dilemmas of real life to her books and brings awareness through them.
We learned about cervical cancer in the Highlander series and the importance of having yourself tested for early detection. Now we are faced with the heinous crime of rape and what the victim goes through. Many see this book as very dark and it is, but I also praise Mrs. Moning for showing her readers that you can get past it. I absolutely love the fact that a book of fiction can bring to the attention of the importance on some very serious topics. Okay back to Mac and her dark journey.
Eweee eating UnSeelie is not something that sounds appetizing at all. Mac has learned it will make her stronger but also void her Sidhe Seer abilities. The Dark Ancient Ones have Mac, the Sidhe Seer's are hunting her, and neither Barrons nor V'lane are anywhere to be found.
Thank goodness for Dani. She is a refreshing character who has stolen my heart. She is one of Mac's biggest fans and now has to hunt her. Mac is at a place noone has came back from, but they didn't have Barrons either.
Hurry there is still time to catch up on this amazing series before it all comes to an end. Stay tuned because on January 17th all of our questions will be answered in Shadowfever. Yes I said the 17th not the 18th because Woo Hoo I'm going to NOLA and meet one of my favorite authors and will have my Precious then.
Stay tuned. I will have updates and pictures. I'm so excited!
Stay to the Lights,
My Blog List
- Book Covers (1)
- Books (1)
- Cadsawan Jewelry (1)
- Dark Faerietales (1)
- Excerpt (2)
- Fever (3)
- frostfans (1)
- Giveaway (4)
- Guild Hunters (1)
- Highalnders (6)
- holidays (1)
- Ilona Andrews (2)
- Immortals After Dark (1)
- Interview (1)
- Janet Cadsawan (1)
- Jeaniene Frost (1)
- Jill Myles (1)
- Karen Marie Moning (7)
- Kresley Cole (1)
- Magic Series (1)
- Nalini Singh (1)
- Night Huntress (1)
- Night Huntress World (1)
- Paperbackdolls (3)
- Phy/Changeling (1)
- Q/A Karen Marie Moning (1)
- Rachel Caine (1)
- Ramblings (4)
- Reviews (9)
- romance (1)
- Succubui Diaries (1)
- The British Are Coming (1)
- The Edge Series (1)